Although stress is a regular part of daily life, too much can harm your mouth, teeth and gums. Together, stress and oral health can affect your overall health.
How Stress Influences Your Oral Health
Stress can negatively affect oral health by:
- Triggering unhealthy behaviors, such as overeating or consuming lots of sugary or acidic foods.
- Making it less likely to follow proper dental care like brushing teeth twice a day and flossing between the teeth daily.
- Increasing the likelihood of infection and other oral health issues.
- Inducing teeth grinding (also known as bruxism), which can lead to jaw issues and TMJ disorders.
- Lowering saliva production, as explained by the Journal of Dental Research Dental Clinics Dental Prospects.
Tips To Manage Stress
The first step towards healthily managing your stress is to be truthful with yourself about what you’re feeling and how you’re handling it. When you identify what’s causing your stress, then your next step is deciding how to reduce it without compromising your health. Some ways to deal with your stress and avoid any oral problems are:
- Avoiding or limiting situations that trigger or cause stress.
- Getting enough sleep by setting an appropriate bedtime and keeping a routine around a sleep schedule.
- Ensuring you continue practicing good oral hygiene by brushing your teeth for two minutes twice a day and flossing between the teeth daily.
- Developing coping skills to reduce stress, such as listening to music, drawing, meditating or taking deep breaths.
- Scheduling an appointment with a mental health professional for advice on stress management.
To reduce your stress, let Kildonan Crossing Dental Centre take care of your oral health, so you have one less thing to worry about. With regular checkups and cleanings, we can keep track of your mouth and take preventative actions to protect your smile.
If your mouth is already feeling the negative effects of stress, we can help alleviate that as well. Our experienced dental team will provide the best treatment to ensure your mouth remains clean and healthy. You can talk to our dentists about sedation options if undergoing a dental procedure is too stressful for you. Schedule an appointment or visit us at the northwest corner of Lagimodiere Boulevard and Regent Avenue to take back control of your dental health today.