Choosing a dentist that’s right for you can significantly improve your oral health and general well-being. With some research and careful consideration, you can find a dentist that understands what you need to maintain optimal dental health.
Typically, you don’t want to begin your search when a toothache or a dental emergency hits — you’ll just be prolonging the pain. When you move into a new area, you should look for a dentist as soon as possible.
But finding the right Winnipeg dentist is not always easy. The market is competitive, and it’s hard to distinguish a great dentist from a mediocre one. You must choose a dentist that can provide you with reliable, convenient care. If you have a family, it’s even more critical to find a dentist that offers services to both children and adults.
How To Find A New Dentist
Where do you start your search? You may notice some advertisements online, in the newspaper or on pamphlets in your mailbox. Many social media platforms also have patient reviews but be mindful that everyone's dental needs and experiences are unique.
Some great ways to find a dentist:
- Recommendations. Your friends, relatives, co-workers, neighbours, doctor or pharmacist may be able to help you choose a dentist by recommending theirs.
- Referral. You can ask your current dentist to suggest someone in your new area.
- Professional listings. Many provincial authority or dental association websites have a dentist locator or a dentist directory you can look at.
To find the right dentist, you may have to call and visit more than one dental clinic before deciding on the best one.
Questions To Ask When Choosing A Dentist
Before making your final choice, you should determine the criteria of the type of dentist you want. Here’s a list of things to consider:
- Is the location convenient?
- Do they have flexible office hours?
- Are they quick to respond to calls or emails?
- How long does it take to get an appointment?
- What happens if you have a dental emergency or need after-hours care?
- What payment options are available?
- If you have dental benefits, does the dentist accept them?
- If you have children, will the dentist treat them too?
- Ask about any concerns you or your family may have, e.g., does the dentist have experience with children with special needs or people with complex medical histories such as diabetes?
- If you're nervous about dental procedures, can the dentist offer options to help with your anxiety such as longer, slower paced dental appointments or sedation options?
Our team at Kildonan Crossing Dental Centre believes you deserve a dentist who coaches and motivates you to make proper dental care decisions. For many years, we have helped countless patients improve their oral health and we strive to continue providing professional results for all our patients in the years to come.
Book an appointment with us today, we’d be happy to add you and your family to our long list of satisfied patients. We are conveniently located at the northwest corner of Lagimodiere Boulevard and Regent Avenue.