The purpose of elastics (rubber bands) is to achieve a good upper and lower jaw relationship. Results are usually quick with constant, regular wear. Otherwise progress can be slow! Forgetting to wear your elastics could cause a setback in your progress and make wearing your braces a longer process. The more you wear your elastics, the sooner you will be finished with them!!
- Please wear your elastics exactly as shown. These instructions are specific to your bite.
- It is necessary to wear your elastics 24 hours a day, unless otherwise specified. Elastics should be removed for eating and tooth brushing, but should be replaced immediately after. Continue to wear your elastics until you are told otherwise.
- You should replace your elastics with new elastics at least once daily. Elastics will lose their elasticity throughout the day and will therefore not continue moving your teeth efficiently.
- Keep a package of elastics with you at all times. In case one breaks or you lose one, you can replace it immediately.
- If you need more elastics, please call our office to get a new package.
- Some soreness and looseness is normal. This means your teeth are moving, the discomfort should go away with consistent wear.
Check out our Dental Crowns page to see if we can assist with your dental restoration needs.